Periodic Update - December 2019

Hey, y'all. It's been a hot minute, as always. I'm terrible at this blogging thing, but it's mostly by choice because I think about writing all the time, then I don't do any actual writing. You know how it is, right? Right.

I'm sure you already know that Craft & STEM shut down at the end of October 2019. It was a tough decision, but I made it and I don't regret it. I miss it terribly; my passion for making is only getting stronger, and seeing the success our pottery studio was having has bolstered me through the downfall. I'm not giving up my dreams; I'm going to be re-establishing my studio ASAP, and somewhere closer to my home in Holladay. There's no pottery here now, and the demand definitely exists, we just need to sort through the fallout of our last endeavor first.

The good news is C got a job, and I'm still making pottery on the regular thanks to my amazing pottery friends. I just had my best show yet at the Clay Arts Utah Holiday Sale in Sugarhouse, and Tuesday is still my pottery day, just at Pioneer Craft House now, and also sometimes Mondays and Wednesdays.

My first few pieces at PCH there were rather large. I'm actually pretty excited about getting back into high fire clay and glazes, and I think the results are going to be much better than previously thanks to all the experience gained doing pottery every day for the last couple of years. 

I've come to appreciate why high fire glazes do what they do, even though I've been working in the mid fire range personally. I'm excited to see what happens in the Cone 10 Reduction kiln at Pioneer. I've been there for a few weeks and just glazed my first few pieces today. Exhibit A, my first carve-away spout pitcher:

Go big or go home.
Whatever happens with the glaze was meant to be.

I am familiar with Woo Blue, but the Orange Shino is new. I found out after I'd dipped the pitcher in it that you want to put shino on first, or else you'll be cursed. So, phew! Avoided a disaster there.

I stuck with Woo Blue for this one, too:


This little tree, as well:


And then there's this large bowl, still in process:


You know I hate a blank canvas, so of course I carved into it. That slowed production down, so it hasn't even been bisque fired yet. After the mad dash production schedule I set up for myself at C&S, slowing the pace and focusing more on quality is actually really refreshing. When will it all be done? I have no idea, and I'm 100% okay with it. 





In other news, I'm still in school & finishing up my first term back. I'll be graduating this time next year with my BA in Business Marketing. In the short-term I'll be looking for a holiday job at a craft store. C is going to be working graveyards, so my schedule is only restricted by the little one's school. I'm also on the hunt for a space that will work for my Mud Bakery. I've learned a lot about what a functioning studio needs, so I'm going to be rather picky about what kind of space I move into next.

I'm still using Craft & STEM's Etsy store to sell pottery, yarn and other handmade shenanigans. Keep an eye on it for product updates throughout the coming weeks. HMU about some custom pottery! Or even a crochet project. I got time for those, too! 

Thanks for reading, y'all. If you made it this far, gold star for you because I almost didn't! Your love keeps me going. Have a safe and happy holiday season! I'll be over here keeping busy.

KTHXBAI!

Love,
Jessa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Thick Cotton Crochet

Monthly Newsletter - FIRST!

Periodic Update: What even is 2020?