Dragon Egg Cups: Getting Nerdy for GOT Season 8!

Hey, y'all. It's been a minute. The first quarter of 2019 was rough, but here we are on the other side of tax day and we're still trucking on. We'll keep at it.

I've been having a lot of fun in the Mud Bakery. So much so that I forget that content is part of my job, too. My video production cycle waned over the last few months, but I'm back at it to capitalize on the Game of Thrones Season 8 premiere last Sunday, and the next five frantic weeks until the season ends. Then (let's be honest), the slow down-curve of interest until the prequel series gets serious. Whenever that may be.

Admittedly, I was late to the GOT bandwagon. I didn't start watching the HBO series until Season 7 was airing, and I didn't read the first book until last month. So, still a noob, but no one is more zealous than a convert, right? Right. And I am solidly in the late convert camp when it comes to A Song of Ice & Fire and zealous as hell.

Last week, the week leading up to the Season 8 Episode 1 premiere, I threw and caved four rather large dragon egg cups. This week, I'll be glazing them, and my mind is full of ideas.

Big boys.

They'll be adequately sized wine cups after all the shrinkage.



Carving these bad boys was no joke, and honestly the whole time I thought I was doing a piss poor job of it, but now that they're out of the bisque kiln, I'm liking the way the scales are textured. Glaze does amazing things to cover up most of the ills, and I have so many ideas for finishing them.

Wabi sabi for life!

This is what happens when I try to make a set of anything. They only ever look like siblings, not twins. And you know what? I'm okay with that. Nature doesn't produce perfect copies of anything, either, so I don't concern myself too much with perfection. These are all going to be amazing and unique, and I'll probably make grips of them. The carving process is tedious, sure (that video is an hour's worth of work condensed into under 5 minutes, FYI), but so far I can't argue with the results.

I'm also working on some smaller eggs, which I threw as closed forms and have been carving while binging Seasons 1 through 7. Some of them will be for Easter, but some are getting the dragon egg treatment, too.

Lil ones. So cute!

I'll fire the glaze kiln up on Sunday, so the first four cups will be done on Tuesday. If you're interested in claiming one, get in touch! Reach out to me on Facebook, Instagram, or Etsy. Better yet, come by Craft & STEM on Tuesday (April 23) when they come out of the kiln! I've been live streaming kiln unloadings on the shop's Instagram, and I'll probably start doing it on YouTube, too. I've also got plans for a Making Of video that covers the process from start to finish, which should be up and running sometime next week. So, stay tuned!

Thanks for reading, fellow GOT pottery nerds (you're out there, right? I mean, statistically speaking you've gotta be!). See you soon for the finished product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Thick Cotton Crochet

Monthly Newsletter - FIRST!

Periodic Update: What even is 2020?