Branching Out: Watercolor Paintings

While fiber and clay are my main mediums of choice, every now and then I'm inspired to paint. I haven't had any formal training, which bothers me, but I can't seem to resist the urge to put pigment to paper when the inspiration hits. I've worked a lot with acrylics in the past, and some oils (they require a lot of clean up that I don't particularly care for), but my experience with watercolor is pretty limited. I've been obsessing over watercolor tattoos, of late, and I really think the medium is ripe for exploration. So, I gave it a shot while the boys were still sleeping last weekend.

This is probably my favorite of the bunch. The splatter effect probably should have been put down first, but whatever. This is not my first painted jelly fish; I did one in acrylic paint for my son's room before he was born. It is, however, the first watercolor jellyfish I've ever attempted. And it turned out okay. Certainly there will be more to come.


This is honestly my first attempt at painting an octopus (though, I have papercrafted one), and quite frankly I'm not thrilled with how it turned out. First pancake is always a little screwy, right? Right.

Okay, so disclaimer before we continue: I'm a huge nerd. I know, it's shocking. I just so happened to be watching one of my favorite shows on Netflix while I was painting the sea creatures. When they were finished I was immediately struck with the inspiration for the following two minimalist pieces:


Two men who need no introduction, I'm sure. More of these to come; probably some on canvas and in acrylic because hello! Nerdtastic =D Also, I'm considering adding typography over them both. Adam's would say "Wake up! It's time for Science!" and Jamie's would say "Jamie Want Big Boom." I'm not at all sure how lettering over watercolor will work. I suppose I could use paint...or freehand it with a calligraphy brush and ink...which would mean I'd have to buy one. But I'm totally okay with that!

Thanks for looking, loves!
Always yours,
The NWB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Thick Cotton Crochet

Monthly Newsletter - FIRST!

Periodic Update: What even is 2020?