Mermaid Me Crochet Afghan, Part 1

In early February I started seeing this picture on Facebook (their algorithms are obviously on point).

Pretty quickly after I saw it (like, literally the next day), my mom's best friend posted it to my wall and asked if I could do it. She wanted two for a pair of sisters. After some research and back and forth, she settled on Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable yarn in three color combinations, which is seriously gorgeous.


It was like Christmas all over again when it showed up! Dragonfly, Stained Glass and Tidal. I most likely overbought, but hey, that's perfectly okay because I really want to make myself something out of it. I bought the pattern from Felted Button on Etsy. Turns out the blanket is built from individual motifs that are joined as you go. 

Building the blanket each scale at a time was actually not as time consuming as I thought it would be, though it still took me most of February to do it. 

The color combination is really beautiful. I tried my best to keep the color pattern random.

Finally, the tail started to take shape! In case you're wondering, the pattern is extremely well written and easy to follow, with plenty of pictures and visual aides. Once all the scales were in place it was onto the edging!

This awesome picot fringe is sewn right on as you're adding the edging. It's awesome and I'll probably use it again.

Honestly, it's probably going to take me longer to sew in each loose end (the individual motifs each have two). There's a LOT of sewing involved.
At least I'm making progress, right? I'll start constructing the second one soon enough. I'm aiming to have them both done and headed off to their new home by the end of March. Wish me luck!

Thanks for looking, Loves!
Always Yours,
The NWB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Thick Cotton Crochet

Monthly Newsletter - FIRST!

Periodic Update: What even is 2020?