Brown Clay Sea Life Vase -- The Sea Life Series



Hello! Can I just tell you about how I'm 100% obsessed with this vase I made in 2019? It's probably an unhealthy level of obsession. But, like, who could blame me? LOOK AT IT.


The brown clay really lends itself to the underwater feel. And the glaze did EXACTLY what I wanted it to do, which almost never happens. The glaze is one I've talked about before, called Spearmint by local pottery wizard @claliston. It is a translucent green glaze that pools blue. On this dark clay body I made sure to give it two good, thick dips to ensure it would show up.

I was honestly stunned when it came out of the kiln. You can actually watch my live reaction on YouTube. The video also includes shots of this thing in the sunshine, in which it literally sparkles. It's amazing.

This is truly one of my favorite pieces ever, and that's saying something because I've been at this for over 10 years now. Is it perfect? Of course not. I'm not super satisfied with how the creatures on the vessel's neck turned out; they are bland and lacking in detail.

The coral makes all my gripes about the creatures irrelevant though. These sea urchins, for example, were a huge pain to make and not all of the spines made it through the process.

While the overall result is stunning, I'm not chomping at the bit to recreate it on new pieces due to the amount of time it takes, and how delicate they are even after both firings. 

So, I have been working on creating texture stamps and sprig molds that will make it all much easier. To my husband's confusion, I pulled a branch off our tree randomly yesterday because its texture intrigued me so.

The next set of Sea Life pieces is already in progress at Pioneer Craft House. It is a set of six cups, which I originally intended to be mugs but now I'm wondering if I should make a few of them into small bowls without handles. I probably will end up going that route.

Anyway this one is available on Etsy right now for $90 with free shipping. It honestly breaks my heart a little to even consider letting it go, but I have to give myself motivation to make another one, right? Right.

If you're not already, follow me on Instagram for quality, original pottery content and the occasional dank meme. I'm also making more videos these days, so check out my YouTube channel and the video I made about the Sea Life Series:



Thanks for stopping by and for your support! Have a fantastic day, my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Thick Cotton Crochet

Monthly Newsletter - FIRST!

Periodic Update: What even is 2020?