Multi-Color Sea Life Vase -- The Sea Life Series



 Welcome! I had to take a minute to share this vase with y'all. It was the first one I went full out on, which is why so much of the vessel's surface is covered.


 So, after 2-3 hours of sculpting that went into it before the bisque firing, I then painstakingly hand-painted glaze on each detail. Some got two different glazes! It was a lot of work.


The result was totally worth it though, because damn! Look at that finish.


 I obsess over this one whenever I pick it up. Check out this spade of grass that stands out on its own.


 I'm just so pleased with it. Putting these Sea Life pieces together is an exercise in patience and planning. I'm still trying to perfect it even though I know for certain I never, ever will.

 Just like with everything, turning lumps of clay into beautiful coral bodies is an ongoing lesson in innovation and improvement.

I am seriously obsessed with the resulting textures, and I'm searching earnestly for ways to make the process both easier and more effective.

 The quest for functionality also goes along with that. While I am coming to terms more and more with making decorative pottery, there's still the drive to make it all functional.

 These vases certainly are functional as vases, but this type of heavy texturing won't do for anything you'd want to put coffee into or food onto.

This one and two others are available (as of February 2020) online in my Etsy shop. This particular one is $65 with free shipping!



I've made a couple videos about the Sea Life Series, and I will undoubtedly make more! Here's the most recent:



Thanks for stoping by and for your support! Have a fantastic day, my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Thick Cotton Crochet

Monthly Newsletter - FIRST!

Periodic Update: What even is 2020?