Sea Life Series - The Early Days (2016-2017)

Hey, y'all. I'm here to write about pottery today! If you've been following along, you know that I've got a thing for sculpting coral reefs out of clay. I'm honestly pretty obsessed for someone who has never seen a reef up close before. But if you could see my instagram feed these days you'd notice I've been looking at three things lately: Witcher memes (bc c'mon. How hot is Geralt?), coral reef structures and wild mushrooms.

The coral reef collection goes back the furthest, because I have been obsessed for a while. See my first set of sea life mugs:

It all started in November 2016 with the Star Fish Mug
Obsessive texturing.

November-December 2016: The finishing process

Aaaand totally finished in January 2017

Pretty sure my sister got this one. Possibly my MIL.

I got started on the second one while the Starfish Mug was being fired. I know for a fact this one went to my MIL, because she loves Sea Horses



Please excuse the shitty lighting. I'm honestly just happy I got photos at all.

I ended up brush glazing all of these, which is not something I usually recommend unless you've got brushing medium. I didn't, so the Blue Celedon didn't get applied evenly.








Then, there was the mermaid.


The texture on her tail, and her overall design, really, was inspired by another potter in my class at the time, Kim, who exclusively hand-built. Kim made all of her own texture tools and sprig molds to decorate her exquisite, tall vases. This particular pattern of fish scales was created using a small loop tool,some patience and a lot of confidence.






Yeah, I didn't bother attempting to sculpt a human face at this scale, so I just cheated and gave her some eyelashes. Her hair was not quite as fine as I wanted it to be, but you know. First pancake. I also didn't attempt to sculpt her any hands; I hid them instead.


The background. carved out coral structures and fish are my first thoughts on the subject. I didn't know at the time that these were the beginnings of a serious, intense fascination with underwater textures and organisms.








I still have this mug. It was my work mug for a long time, and I got a lot of comments about it.






It holds 16 ounces very easily.







I know this because I spent the rest of 2017 brewing 12 ounces of coffee and then adding 4 ounces of creamer and who knows how much sugar into it.








Her handle isn't great; it's way too thin because I wasn't great at pulling handles at the time. I've had a lot of practice at it since then, so the next time I put a mermaid on a mug, said mug will be a lot more functional.
In the years since I have moved away from creatures to focus mainly on coral. Follow me on Instagram to see the Sea Life Mugs that I'm working on now. Thanks for reading!

Update: I made a YouTube Video about all this! Check it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Thick Cotton Crochet

Monthly Newsletter - FIRST!

Periodic Update: What even is 2020?